Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blog Post 13

Top[ 10 Tips For Using Technology by Jose Picardo

These tips are exactly in line with the technological knowledge we are gaining from EDM 310 this summer. This is an exciting and fascinating summer for me as I find myself doing much better than I expected. I was so afraid of technology at the beginning but now I am having a much better experience. Technology is essential to the learning environment in the 21st Century and teachers must be ready to adapt and embrace the change. We must be open-minded and realize that this change is for the betterment of our children and our country as a whole.
These 10 tips for using technology in the classroom are positive and is a template for teachers to begin on this new classroom. I will not list all ten of the tips as this is not necessary, I will list the two that stood out to me as new and try to tell why they are important to me.
Tip #2, Use Music More Often
This was a surprising tip as most teachers and administrators won't let students discuss music in class. Teachers and administrators only want to teach from the books under the desk. There is a golden opportunity to teach students and learn from your students with a lesson on music. The students could bring some music they like to school and do a report on it, followed by a classroom discussion. This is a great way to include cultures and would get involvement from the students. We must begin to build on what the students bring to school with them: Ideas, Cultures, and Life Experiences of our students are important to them and must be important enough for teachers to take time and listen.
Make The Most Of Pupils' Gadgets
As teachers we should make the most of gadgets students have. We may not let them bring the gadgets to school but when we hear them discuss them we should listen. If it is something we could include in our class discussions we should get permission and allow it in our class discussion. This would let the students know you care and can adjust to any teaching moment when it presents itself. We have to become more open to new ideas and new avenues to teaching. The classroom should be a place the students are eager to be and eager to participate in all aspects of the learning environment. Teachers ,must open up, change our traditional ways and teach to the Networked Student of the 21st Century.

2 comments:

  1. Clemente,

    I like your suggestions. I myself love music and can think of several ways it can be used in the classroom, even for moments of relaxation to prepare for a big project.

    Most kids are bringing the gadgets to school anyway. Some for safety purpose others just to show off. Do think that cell phones and ipods should be banned and be concealed inside of the classroom by the school boards?

    Good article! I myself enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete