Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blog Post # 10

Do You Teach To Educate ? by Joshua Bloom
I chose to become an Education Major because I love children. I have sat around long enough a watched from the sidelines as to how students are labeled, mistreated, and eventually thrown out of school only to go into the Criminal Justice System only to cost us much more than if we teach them from an early that they are someone special. Stop with the phrases that they will never be nothing or they will end up in jail because everyone in their family has. We must love to see a positive difference in a child and get self satisfaction that we have made a difference. I know the job won't be easy and children can be difficult but we must use everything we have learned to help us be the best teachers we can.
To teach is to go to work give the students a book, cut the top of their heads off and stuff them with information and burp them up for the test. To educate is to enlighten, inspire, and empower. Educators are one who gives you intellectual, moral and social skills. Educators care about the whole person. So let's be educators and not teachers.
Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home by Tom Johnson
I don't know if I took this blog the wrong way or not but it really struck a nerve. This message sounded so familiar as this is the way I've been treated all my entire life when it comes to education. I work very hard to do the best I can and this labeling reaches me and I do more than just play with a pencil I actually study or use the pencil other than playing hang man. There are students who are capable of doing well in school but teachers come to class daily with this pre-conceived notion that low-income students are low achievers. This is

wrong. You can teach with this attitude but you will never become an educator. You must embrace the entire person and do your job as a teacher to produce a productive student one you would be proud of.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Clemente, you have done a good job on your blog post. I like your approach for a positive environment in which our children can have an opportunity to succeed. Great job! I think you will make a great educator. I also looked at your videos as well great job.

    You may want to re-read the post by Tom Johnson, I had to read it several times to get an understanding. I have learned it is better to write on paper my ideas, sleep on it and wake up early in the morning and revisit it. This is my first semester back in school and I have been out of the classroom for many years. I have better blog post when I do things that way. Plus, I have fresh thoughts in the morning and they aren't bogged down with life's worries from a day at work. Its just a thought.

    Also, if you read some of the other things on Tom Johnson's blog post, and go to Dr. Strange's alumni blogs you may find some information on there that you didn't think about to help you with this assignment.

    I will be on the look out for blog post #9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gemini has some good advice. You missed Tom Johnson's metaphor!

    Read the following posts from the Spring Semester:
    Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    Metaphor Discussion Update

    Everyone is Thinking About Metaphors

    ReplyDelete