Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blog Post 1

     I am a genuine good ole boy from a small country town of 1,800; Flomaton,Al.  I have been held down my entire life, full of potential but lacking knowledge to release the energy.  I have worked with young children in my community for 30 years.  I refuse to stand by and watch them underachieve.  My passion is to get my degree in Elementary Education and help all people reach their full potential.  People have a tendency to listen if the speaker is credible.  I coach youth league basketball at Flomaton Elementary School for the past 20 years and enjoy every minute of this as I get to see young men and women surprise themselves.  I see young people believe in themselves when by excelling in athletics.  This interaction with young people led me to enter USA and teach youth through elementary education. 
     I am a single parent of a 15 year-old son who I love very much.  Whats so special about my son is that his mother was killed in a car accident when he was 6.  His name is Denarius and is a very respectful young man who the teachers love.  He is working at the high school this summer and is very excited.  He plays every sport and I have never missed a game.  
     I am active in the town of Flomaton.  I am a City Councilman for 12 years, up for reelection this year.  I am president of the booster club and have youth activities throughout the year.  I love my small town and want to get my masters degree and teach our youth.  

3 comments:

  1. Even before I was assigned to comment on your blog, I had already read your first entry with awe. Your words left an impression on me that I will (hopefully) retain for future discussions; "Full of potential, but lacking knowledge to release the energy". To understand and recognize that you have what it takes to succeed in your field of passion, but also being aware that you do not have all of the answers, and truly welcome guidance, speaks volumes about you. If only everyone could see their own potential for greatness, but that is also why we have coaches, mentors, educators, and parents like you. Sometimes we have to step in and show the children that are placed in our lives, the value that they possess, and guide them on their path to success.

    Growing up and living most of my life in a small Alabama town, sometimes you almost feel a disconnect from what is going on in the world around you; You feel a step behind the city kids that have more opportunities, larger schools, etc. It not only takes technology to connect to the world around you, it also takes people like you that give up valuable time to your son, and the sons and daughters of others, just to instill confidence and value, and to encourage them to be the very best that they can be. How blessed they are to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Mr. Councilman! We are delighted to have you in our class. You have set high standards and goals for yourself. That is wonderful.

    Paige has said it all in her great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll vote for Clemente Brooks!! I am also one of the older students in this class. I enjoyed reading your blog, putting a story beyond the face. When I saw you in class I said, "He'll make it." Somehow I believe the older ones are more motivated and focused on the task. You are not only focused, but you have passion and purpose. I always admired the older students in my classes when I attended the first time. I feel kind of honored to be one now. I hope you do too. I look forward to the rest of the class. I hope you're learning as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete